Ways to Prevent Wasting Food
Search The WasteNot List for shops and apps that sell or give away food that would otherwise go to waste
- Plan your meals before going shopping and only buy what you need
- If possible, freeze food that won’t be eaten within the use by date. See BBC goodfood for freezing tips and advice.
- If you’re not able to eat fresh produce quick enough, see if there is a frozen option, e.g. pizza or vegetables
- If you open a jar of sauce but don’t use it all, see if you can freeze the rest of it
- If you end up with left overs or food that is going to go out of date, have a look at some recipes for using up the ingredients (there are a few ideas below) – or make up your own! 🙂
- Donate to food banks
- If you’ve made too much jam or have a windfall of apples, see if your neighbours would like some
- Go to a local pond and feed the ducks leftover rice, sweetcorn, lettuce and oats
- Soft plastic recycling points in supermarkets: Aldi, ASDA, Co-op, Sainsbury’s, Tesco, Waitrose
Search for your nearest participating supermarket using this useful Recycling Locator search from Recycle Now.
- The Crisp Packet Recycling Scheme. Recycle your crisp packets – Find a drop-off location.
- The Confectionery Recycling Programme. Recycle your confectionery packaging, items include: plastic chocolate and sweets pouches and bags, individual chocolate bar wrappers, plastic chocolate block wrappers, chocolates and sweets multipack outer plastic packaging – Find a drop-off location.
- The Kinder Recycling Programme. Recycle your Kinder flexible plastic packaging, rigid plastic packaging, chocolate wrappers and aluminium foil packaging – Find a drop-off location.
- The Ferrero Pralines Recycling Programme. Recycle your Ferrero Rocher and Ferrero Collection aluminium wrappers, plastic boxes and plastic trays – Find a drop-off location.
- The Pringles® Can Recycling Programme. Recycle plastic lids, seals and Pringles® tubes – Find a drop-off location.
- The Babybel® Recycling Programme. Recycle Babybel® net bags, labels, metal clasps, wrappers and wax and Babybel® mini rolls flexible plastic packaging, sleeves and plastic trays – Find a drop-off location.
Main Image Credit: diapicard | Pixabay